Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    So I have these 604e's with the aftermarket UREI 800H horn grafted onto them.

    I have the mastering labs xovers which AFAIK are not time-aligned, and considering recapping, am instead considering building some time-aligned networks.

    I see that the UREI offering for the 604e was their '824' network
    http://studioelectronics.biz/ureipdf/824.pdf

    *(though I cannot find an 824 schematic)

    ...and of course I've had a look at Jeff's page RE: the 604e,
    The 604E "Super Duplex"

    ...wherein Jeff does not suggest a TA option for the e.

    quoting from his id22.html:
    Bottom Line
    The N-1500A filter is hard to equal, much less beat, when using competing parallel type designs with the 604E. An N-1500A filter with upgraded components and an MF EQ circuit added is probably the most cost effective crossover improvement one can make for this classic duplex.



    So if anyone has experience (or thoughts on) comparing the N-1500A type, to ML Xovers, (or recapped ML xovers), to UREI 824's, I'd be interested to hear it.

    thanks!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    gearfreak
    check my web site

    X-Over

    the 604E was made in many versions , so a single design is not possible
    the 605 is close to the 604E.
    if you are interested , the measurements needed are :
    woofer impedance and a Zobel to flatten it
    woofer horn time offset to design a Bessel low pass time delay filter.
    the 605 design may be OK as is for your 604Es

    Don

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Altec19's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2003
    Posts
    306
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    You can download the 811A manual (which includes a schematic for the T/A crossover) here:

    Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics
    I used to be known as "AltecFan" but now I'm "Altec19" . . .

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec19 View Post
    You can download the 811A manual (which includes a schematic for the T/A crossover) here:

    Vintage JBL-UREI Electronics
    Thanks! The schematic there is for the 829 Network, is it suitable for the e?

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    Quote Originally Posted by donaldpatten View Post
    gearfreak
    check my web site

    X-Over

    Don
    Thanks Don! Looks like I have some reading to do.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    Don. Most execellent work! Thanks for posting it.

    A few years ago I did something similar. Made my own waveform for time alignment. Mine was a little different, but the technique was the same. I did not do your clever all pass filter, tho. That's quite nice.

    Again, thanks for posting.

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member donaldpatten's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 26th, 2004
    Posts
    336
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    A simple test to see if your system has the low and high acoustic waves timed together, was a by chance observation when I was working with Seadweller. We were looking at a scope trace of the acoustic wave my test pulse developed . We noted that with the woofer playing, and switching the horn signal on/off the pulse jumped up and down. The pulse was taller and narrower with the horn on and the time position (time delay) did not move. Hind sight says of course as you add high frequencies, yes the pulse will get sharper and higher.


    Panomaniac
    Thank you for your comments
    Don

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 604e time aligned crossover design(s) ?

    Ah yes, makes good sense. The impulse gets sharper when the horn is in the right place.
    Good thinkin'. I see this on the measurement software I now use, HOLMImpulse. Nice software and it's free.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.